Follow us F Y T I R

Briton claims "what happened has nothing to do with what’s being reported" after attempted kidnapping arrest in Mallorca

Both suspects said they could not remember the incident, claiming they had taken drugs in the hours beforehand

Arrested man escorted by police to the van en route to Palma prison. | Photo: J.P.M.

|

The british man arrested with his partner over the attempted kidnapping of a woman in Son Ferriol has told a judge that “what happened has nothing to do with what is being reported”. However, he did not provide any further explanation. Both suspects said they could not remember the incident, claiming they had taken drugs in the hours beforehand. They have been remanded in custody.

Judicial sources said the pair neither confirmed nor denied the allegations when questioned. They told the court they were unable to recall events because of the amount of drugs they had consumed. The couple are accused of trying to force a local woman into their car.

The incident happened at about 12:50 local time on Sunday in the Palma district of Son Ferriol. The woman was waiting for a relative at a roundabout when a car approached with the suspects inside. According to officials, they asked her to get into the vehicle, but she refused. The female suspect then got out and allegedly tried to force her into the car after grabbing her arm.

A struggle followed, during which the woman managed to break free and run towards her home while being chased. The suspect caught up with her and a second struggle took place. The victim, who is in her sixties, fell to the ground, as did her handbag, while the attacker continued trying to push her into the vehicle. She called for help and her husband intervened, assisted by a worker from a nearby premises.

Shortly afterwards, the male suspect got out of the car and told his partner they needed to leave. Police arrested both of them a short distance from the scene minutes later.

The pair had previously been arrested a month earlier in connection with a separate incident. They are alleged to have lured a man to Son Banya on the pretext of withdrawing money they owed him, before assaulting him and fleeing the scene.

Related
Most Viewed