Majorca Daily Bulletin

News | Balearics

Children in hospital after eating poisonous berries

Eight children aged between six and eight years were rushed to hospital on Thursday afternoon after eating poisonous berries. The six girls and two boys picked the berries from the grounds of the Verge del Carme primary school in Mahon and as soon as teachers were aware of what had happened, all of the children were taken to a local clinic. The Health and Agricultural ministries were contacted in order to ascertain just how poisonous the red berries are and the eight were subsequently taken to hospital where doctors were in contact with the specialists in Madrid. All of the children were treated immediately and doctors said that all responded well to the treatment and that none of the eight showed signs of serious side effects. The patients spent the night in hospital under surveillance and all of the children were discharged yesterday.

Most Viewed